FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME
Turning 40 is meant to be a time to assess where you’ve got to in life and to measure your achievements against your youthful dreams. A lot is said about turning 40, some of it scary. I woke up today expecting to experience some of those things. It was like any other day in my life. I looked in the mirror; there were no obvious signs on my face to show that I am 40. My yesteryear memories began flashing before me as I recollected. I thought of how lucky I am today, to have the most amazing wife and be a proud father of four! While I was still contemplating my past, I thought of the 40 things that have come to define my life thus far. Even I found some of them interesting (and surprising):
1. I have no fear of caterpillars, chameleons or lizards but I would not sleep in a house with a snake that has not been killed.
2. And I’m neither superstitious nor religious!
3. My wife and mother are the most important women in my life.
4. I did not celebrate my birthday until I was 15, even then I did not remember the subsequent ones and I never considered them such a big thing until I met Victoria.
5. I never had Luganda lessons until I was 16 but I could read Luganda newspapers fluently at the age of 10 (isn’t that what they call being a genius? ☺
6. I’ve never smoked or tried any drugs!
7. I did not have my first alcoholic drink until I was 20 (a glass of red wine). I still can’t drink more than a glass of wine in a night.
8. I only like flowers growing. I think cut flowers are wasteful and pointless.
9. One of my favourite childhood pastimes was goggolo. My friend and I missed entire lunchtimes doing this and got punished for torn trousers.
10. My other favourite childhood pastimes was following cattle to the grazing field. I learned to milk a cow when I was 9.
11. I have once been involved in a life threatening accident but the only scars I have on my body where not caused by this accident.
12. I have always loved Sports but I am terrible as a player. I was awful at football and I have never tried lawn tennis.
13. I am obsessed with what I wear and how I look but I have never been pre-occupied with the masculinity of having big bulging muscles.
14. I hate to chew gum, it gives me a sore throat, but the fear of my breath being bad at the end of a long movie always sends scampering for one.
15. I cant whistle, I always envy those who let out ear bursting whistles like football managers and cattle keepers.
16. I can play video games but I don’t understand the obsession and I have always joined in involuntarily.
17. My modest success in sports was when I played for the Kyambogo College School reserve Basket Ball Team. We lost the game.
18. I like movies that are realistic or based on true stories. I hate Sci-fi and most Action films.
19. My first job was a taxi conductor filling in for a regular on Sunday (I was in my P7 vacation).
20. I first owned a business when I was 18, it was a video screening business in the areas of Katosi and Kisoga (during the x-mas break)
21. I had my first girl friend when I was 18 and I was a virgin until I was 19.
22. Despite being a last born, I was the only child. My first child was born a few hours before my 20th birthday.
23. I am not obsessed with cars or electrical gadgets/devices, but I am fixated with well-designed houses on large nicely well-tended lawns.
24. I hate gambling. Never understood the fascination with casinos.
25. I find dogmatic religions to be controlling and an insult to human brain.
26. I have always believed in sharing even at a younger age. Giving (especially to those who are not as fortunate as I am) gives me comfort in adult life.
27. I have no tattoo or birthmark any where on my body.
28. I don’t like spicy food and I hate oil-laden foods but I love Indian restaurants (loads of water I guess).
29. I learned English in school. I learned Swahili in life. I regret having cut French classes. I want to learn Spanish when the opportunity comes up.
30. I think I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but sometimes I let go for peace. Is there anything like occasional OCD?
31. I gave all my children the names starting with R. The surname and middle names have always been a compromise between two or more people.
32. I’m not good with chopsticks and I cannot understand the fuss with sushi (I don’t easily buy into trendy styles).
33. My favourite food is chapatti and beef or Ugali, Nyama choma and Kachumbali. (I have had to cut down on both due to high cholesterol).
34. I can get along with almost everyone, just like I will listen to almost every type of music.
35. The only sport I hate is Boxing (is it a sport?) and only watch rugby, if I have nothing to do.
36. I've had 4 major relationships in my entire life and I've learned something from each one of them.
37. I have 4 lovely kids and 2 exquisite nieces. They make up my immediate family.
38. My friends say I am a good dancer but I have never learnt to do the shuffle.
39. My last physical fight was when I was 10. I have never found a reason to fight or hit some one again. I hate violence.
40. My friends say I’m a typical Sagittarian; active in games, interactions and love to joke. They also mean I am impatient, hasty and talk louder than I think sometimes.
On a lighter note, I think it is time to give the inventor of Sudoku his due respect. Word-search games, crossword puzzles, and every other type of brain-teasing, thought-provoking type of leisure activity are about to become that important. I understand they help to ward off the early-onset of Alzheimer's disease. At 40, not only muscles need to be exercised but also brains!!!! God knows what else will come up at 50.
1. I have no fear of caterpillars, chameleons or lizards but I would not sleep in a house with a snake that has not been killed.
2. And I’m neither superstitious nor religious!
3. My wife and mother are the most important women in my life.
4. I did not celebrate my birthday until I was 15, even then I did not remember the subsequent ones and I never considered them such a big thing until I met Victoria.
5. I never had Luganda lessons until I was 16 but I could read Luganda newspapers fluently at the age of 10 (isn’t that what they call being a genius? ☺
6. I’ve never smoked or tried any drugs!
7. I did not have my first alcoholic drink until I was 20 (a glass of red wine). I still can’t drink more than a glass of wine in a night.
8. I only like flowers growing. I think cut flowers are wasteful and pointless.
9. One of my favourite childhood pastimes was goggolo. My friend and I missed entire lunchtimes doing this and got punished for torn trousers.
10. My other favourite childhood pastimes was following cattle to the grazing field. I learned to milk a cow when I was 9.
11. I have once been involved in a life threatening accident but the only scars I have on my body where not caused by this accident.
12. I have always loved Sports but I am terrible as a player. I was awful at football and I have never tried lawn tennis.
13. I am obsessed with what I wear and how I look but I have never been pre-occupied with the masculinity of having big bulging muscles.
14. I hate to chew gum, it gives me a sore throat, but the fear of my breath being bad at the end of a long movie always sends scampering for one.
15. I cant whistle, I always envy those who let out ear bursting whistles like football managers and cattle keepers.
16. I can play video games but I don’t understand the obsession and I have always joined in involuntarily.
17. My modest success in sports was when I played for the Kyambogo College School reserve Basket Ball Team. We lost the game.
18. I like movies that are realistic or based on true stories. I hate Sci-fi and most Action films.
19. My first job was a taxi conductor filling in for a regular on Sunday (I was in my P7 vacation).
20. I first owned a business when I was 18, it was a video screening business in the areas of Katosi and Kisoga (during the x-mas break)
21. I had my first girl friend when I was 18 and I was a virgin until I was 19.
22. Despite being a last born, I was the only child. My first child was born a few hours before my 20th birthday.
23. I am not obsessed with cars or electrical gadgets/devices, but I am fixated with well-designed houses on large nicely well-tended lawns.
24. I hate gambling. Never understood the fascination with casinos.
25. I find dogmatic religions to be controlling and an insult to human brain.
26. I have always believed in sharing even at a younger age. Giving (especially to those who are not as fortunate as I am) gives me comfort in adult life.
27. I have no tattoo or birthmark any where on my body.
28. I don’t like spicy food and I hate oil-laden foods but I love Indian restaurants (loads of water I guess).
29. I learned English in school. I learned Swahili in life. I regret having cut French classes. I want to learn Spanish when the opportunity comes up.
30. I think I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) but sometimes I let go for peace. Is there anything like occasional OCD?
31. I gave all my children the names starting with R. The surname and middle names have always been a compromise between two or more people.
32. I’m not good with chopsticks and I cannot understand the fuss with sushi (I don’t easily buy into trendy styles).
33. My favourite food is chapatti and beef or Ugali, Nyama choma and Kachumbali. (I have had to cut down on both due to high cholesterol).
34. I can get along with almost everyone, just like I will listen to almost every type of music.
35. The only sport I hate is Boxing (is it a sport?) and only watch rugby, if I have nothing to do.
36. I've had 4 major relationships in my entire life and I've learned something from each one of them.
37. I have 4 lovely kids and 2 exquisite nieces. They make up my immediate family.
38. My friends say I am a good dancer but I have never learnt to do the shuffle.
39. My last physical fight was when I was 10. I have never found a reason to fight or hit some one again. I hate violence.
40. My friends say I’m a typical Sagittarian; active in games, interactions and love to joke. They also mean I am impatient, hasty and talk louder than I think sometimes.
On a lighter note, I think it is time to give the inventor of Sudoku his due respect. Word-search games, crossword puzzles, and every other type of brain-teasing, thought-provoking type of leisure activity are about to become that important. I understand they help to ward off the early-onset of Alzheimer's disease. At 40, not only muscles need to be exercised but also brains!!!! God knows what else will come up at 50.
Comments
Thanks for reading this miserable blog. I have a doctor friend of mine in palliative care and I have told him about you. His first impression is that they will be interested in you joining them but he will need some details from you first. If interested please send an e-mail to robkiggundu@gmail.com for further exchanges.