Keep Smiling and Have a Nice Day
After about 2 months, I can confirm that I can drive around a bit of London (about 5 miles around our home) and am very pleased with my rate of grasping things. I am deeply disturbed by the description of summer in this country, it is very different from what I expected it to be. I understand it officially begins in June and ends in September and apparently it is the only opportunity for people to have a life of barbeques and beaches (poor things!). If what we have just gone through is the best they can get, the good citizens of Kabale are having a blast. Meanwhile, the lack of human labour in this country is disturbingly irritating. It has finally brought me face to face and full speed with the flat parks from IKEA. Surely, IKEA must have been founded by a woman. IKEA is a leaf from a book written by the 21st feminist’s titled – How to decimate a man’s ego. For the past few weekends we have consistently turned up at the IKEA store in Croydon to find furniture and furnishings for our new home. My heart rends as she flips through the pages of the IKEA catalogue for because I know it will be me to suffer with the assembly of our fitting. For some curious reason people in this town of the mighty and most civilised don’t talk to each – not even our neighbours talk to us. I thought it could not get any worse until I started commuting to the University. Yes, I enrolled for a post graduate degree in Construction Management out of boredom. After visiting my ever reliable website when it comes to getting around London (tfl.gov.uk has no equal) I discovered that the quickest way to get to the University of Greenwich would be by train – national rail to be precise – first to London Bridge and then out on the South Eastern to Dartford. While on these trains, I noted that people don’t talk, fear to make eye contact and bury their heads in books and free newspapers. Now that the temperatures have started coming down especially after a miserable summer, I am tempted to blame it on the weather. If indeed it is the weather, then I can only assume that it is going to get worse at the peak of winter – I am not sure I am looking forward to a gloomy weather and even gloomier people for company on a train. Rather than celebrate the noble idea of a free paper on a train, the makers of Metro, Lite and London Paper should be sued for exacerbating an already bad situation. I have a feeling that by doing this, the rich but stressed people of London miss all that is good in life because they continue to live in their small worlds. If one is not reading they are having a pair of earphones plugged in their ears so as to have nothing to do with any body else. I love Africa, even in abject poverty people are smiling and making the best of their day. What an irony, the smiling people are inhabitants of the world’s poorest lands.
Comments