Women like Cherie Blair

So the former First Lady of the United Kingdom (I wonder where this leaves HM) has released her memoirs “Speaking for Myself”. There is nothing surprising about an autobiography from a famous and modern woman like her who has been praised by fans for maintaining an independent life as a barrister and refusing to live in the shadow of her husband. I haven’t read the book and though I have an undying fondness for memoirs and biographies, I cannot promise that I will read hers in the near future (I haven’t been able to dispose off her husband’s which I read in between other books). However I have been intrigued by some of the reviews I have read in the press. Apparently Mrs. Blair reveals that when she hooked up with Tony, she was already running two boyfriends.
"Tony and I took the bus. It was a double-decker and we went upstairs. It was completely empty and by the time we got off we knew each other better than when we'd got on. And even better the next morning." -The Mail
“She has revealed in her autobiography, Speaking for Myself, how she cheated on two boyfriends before marrying Tony Blair - David Attwood and another identified only as John. She cheated on John with her future husband” – The Telegraph
In another article she admitted that: “Now I look back and the way I behaved to my old boyfriend David or John is not really the way I would like to say to my children they should behave. I’m certainly not Little Miss Perfect” she added. Naturally the vilification from her critics - and they are many is proliferating and interestingly the bulk of it is coming from women. She has been called "a greedy, self-serving opportunist" whose "greatest betrayal is to her own sex”, another called her “a vain, self regarding, shallow thinking viper" who tells us that she's "a good Catholic girl" while detailing her premarital as well as post-marital sex life” I can see no way Mrs Blair has betrayed her sex apart from admitting that she had run three men at the same time – something that most women would want us to believe that it is exclusively done by the opposite sex. Her detractors now want to use these memoirs to pull her down and prevent her from becoming a judge – “it raises the question of what we might expect from a judge and whether she should become one” Minette Marrin of The Times asks. Give me a break I say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda