Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

My answer is No and this is why.

I recently returned home for the summer holidays and literally walked into this row (some white friend is complaining about being called ‘Mzungu’) by kids and adults alike. Coincidentally, I had just returned form Accra in Ghana where I had spotted a letter to the press complaining about the same thing, - apparently someone was unhappy about being called Oburoni (the equivalent of Mzungu in East Africa).

Anyone who has been to this dusty town of ours knows what this term means. The children will cry out ‘Mzungu how are you’, the vendors will call ‘Mzungu come and buy’ and some naughty men will propose to white women by calling them Mzungu (you must have heard of the local hit ‘Omwana w’omuzungu by the late Paul Kafeero’. Now, I do understand when white folks complain about a title that classifies them by race, especially when they come from the politically correct communities of UK that think that calling me black is being racist. I have been in the company of friends who have found it hard to order for black tea because they think that I will consider that racist – bonkers. I would like to put the record straight that unless one has chosen to address me by the colour of my skin in a derogatory manner, I absolutely have no problem being called black.

And to my friends in Africa, it is incredibly barmy to think that the use of the terms ‘Mzungu’ or ‘Oburoni’ is being racist. This word is not used in a derogatory manner and it is not meant to humiliate and as most of you will testify it will most likely come from a glowing face of the people you have come to love and whose company you enjoy. I come from Central Uganda and there are plenty of names that would be used to refer to a white person in derogatory manner and ‘Mzungu’ is not one of them. To all the white folks in Africa, be easy and enjoy the sun.

Comments

Hello!
It sounds cute when kids call me Muzungu but when they grow up, it does not sound as nice as some use it in a nasty way to mean `someone to take money from`
I believe in the genuine kids and elderly who grew up with that word who dont know any other way of calling me but the young generation being very alert about what is going on in the world must not do the same thing.
I am thinking of buying a tshirt which says `my name is not muzungu` :)
Regards
Meltem
Kiggundu said…
Hi Meltem,

Thanks for the comment. First and foremost, I agree with you that people who are more socially aware like me should not use the word 'Mzungu' while addressing someone. But the point I make here is that many people in Africa (East Africa) use it without being aware that they are addressing someone by the colour of their skin and that this is some thing found unacceptable in more developed and sophisticated societies - they are thus not being racist. While if someone chose to call me 'blackie' on the streets of London or NY, they will certainly be aware of what they are doing and they are intention will most probably be to offend or annoy.
On a lighter note, I have also been called 'Mzungu' when someone down town Kampala is trying to con me of my hard earned cash and that's despite that I am obviously black, definitely some think they are flattering someone by addressing them as Mzungu.
You are absolutely right!
Still that must not stop East Africans telling each other that it is not pleasant to be pointed by finger and called that name.
Have a good day...
The kids calling 'muzungu how are you?' keeps me focused when we're Hashing and I want to walk! I (mostly) love it and have never been offended. People don't know my name so how else can they get my attention? (although I do quite like being called Sister or Madam -not Mama - yet, please!) Someone once said, if someone knows your name and they still call you Muzungu, then that's the time to get upset.
Anyway, I think my blog name says how I see it! Honestly, the word gives me hours of pleasure.
Mzungu is derived from the Swahili word Kizungu some legend has it. Kizungu means dizziness. Apparently Swahili speskers coined the word after seeing how Whites move from place to place (touring...in essence they move so much one watching can get dizzy from the experience!) How we came to start using it, I ain't sure. One my best friends had issues with so I told here it just means White person but if it offends you, call them back using MUDDUGAVU (Black). I do not find any of these two words or concern at all because basically when the White people came here they told us they were White, much as some of us see pink or something. And we were told we are Black, much as some of us are actually purple.
#OneLove

Popular posts from this blog

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda