Out of London
When my family changed that last line of our home address from Nairobi to London, I knew that there was a lot to learn and adjust to. I have spent the last 3 years of my residence in UK much as a student but now I get the opportunity to assess the people and city that have served as my hosts. Here below, I rate some of the aspects of life on a scale of 1 to 10, one being rubbish and 10 excellent.
The City - 6
First of all there is nothing to see in London and there is this sense of being insecure (with all the stabbings reported). The shopping is brilliant and contrary to the sentiments of the locals, I have no problem with the transport system.
Media/TV and Radio - 9
I have learnt in the past that as a new resident in a country, the best way to get acquainted and learn about your hosts is through the print and broadcast media. I immediately started buying the papers and flipping through the FM channels and Television channels. It was not long before I discovered that ‘The Mail’ and ‘The Sun’ would be my favorite papers. I did not know much about their reputations or political leanings at the time, but even when I did, I still stack with them because I did not find any other paper that can tell me a lot about life in UK and London in particular. An occasional Evening Standard would fill up the gaps for me. This is the first country that I have lived where newspapers are officially (not through claims, allegations and innuendos) associated with partisan politics. I don’t know if by consistently buying The Mail, I was identified as a Tory (which would be absurd) or a Labour supporter. By the time I was done with the Radio stations, LBC 97.3 and Magic 105.4 seemed unmatchable in providing commentary on current events (for the former) and entertainment (for the latter). Despite his critics, I found James O’Brien the most articulate and interesting presenter on LBC. It was also his show that I found most relevant to me because it seemed to touch on a very aspect of life in the UK from the lowest of classes to the highest, from politics to sports, you never know what you will get from those three hours. I disagreed with Nick Ferrari’s opinions as much as I agreed with him. Most of the time he sounded to me, like one of those British men and women still stuck in the past and feeling great about the empire and its superiority – very condescending. He is either like that school kid who is always interested in causing trouble between people, so that he can enjoy the fight from the sidelines or he is actually anti immigration, anti racial interaction and anti globalization. Whichever he is, he always managed to kick up a storm even on the calmest of mornings and there are times I felt like scampering for my phone to give him a piece of my mind. TV in this country is beyond anything, I have seen before. There are very few times I have not found anything to watch from the hundreds of channels provided via Sky Box. While in this country I have been introduced to things like HD ready, Free View and Digital. That not withstanding I was surprised that I could be so close to the action and yet not be part of it. I have been a fan of the English League since the early 80s and I have followed my beloved Liverpool FC from my years as a teenager in Kampala. Unlike back, where I could watch literally every game on TV, there are many times I was not able to watch my favorite team or let alone anything from the premier league because of ‘rights’. Why are people sold rights only to take them away from those who need them? MOTD always filled in well for that deficiency although it is never the same thing as watching live. Thank God for the Beeb ….and oh yes and all of you whiners, stop grumbling and carry on paying your licenses.
Public Transport - 8
By far the most likeable aspect of my life in London. So many times, I have heard people moaning about public transport in London, ‘its awful, its expensive, its crowded’. Coming from where I do, this is next best thing that happened after the treadmill. Yes the trains and buses are sometimes late but only just, I have been to some cities where a schedule is printed without buses and trains. Yes they are crowded but only because every body is trying to get to work or home at the same time, if you all staggered your travel by a few minutes that will be solved. I always used the trains after 9 am and after 7 pm and they were never as crowded as the occasional times I have had to use them during the peak hours.
Race Relations - 8
Much as it is controversial, I have an opinion about the subject of racism. As a tourist in London twice before I lived here, I never understood what it was that black sisters and brothers were honking about whenever they complained about racism. I must admit that in the over 3 years that I have lived in the UK, I still don’t understand it. Neither I nor a member of my family has been a victim of or exposed to racism in any form, way or manner. I may be wrong but I have come to the conclusion that most white folks in UK are not racist. I have experienced much more worse racism in Asia and North Africa.
Social Life - 3
There is nothing to write about. There is no social life and that is what I missed most about home. I am astounded that most people’s understanding of social life on this great island is drinking, more drinking and over drinking of alcohol.
Weather - 1
One of my visiting friends said ‘there is no weather here’ and I could not agree more. In addition to an almost inexistent social life, one had to contend with the horrible weather of the island.
On the whole, I will miss the UK and will certainly be back whenever the opportunity arises.
The City - 6
First of all there is nothing to see in London and there is this sense of being insecure (with all the stabbings reported). The shopping is brilliant and contrary to the sentiments of the locals, I have no problem with the transport system.
Media/TV and Radio - 9
I have learnt in the past that as a new resident in a country, the best way to get acquainted and learn about your hosts is through the print and broadcast media. I immediately started buying the papers and flipping through the FM channels and Television channels. It was not long before I discovered that ‘The Mail’ and ‘The Sun’ would be my favorite papers. I did not know much about their reputations or political leanings at the time, but even when I did, I still stack with them because I did not find any other paper that can tell me a lot about life in UK and London in particular. An occasional Evening Standard would fill up the gaps for me. This is the first country that I have lived where newspapers are officially (not through claims, allegations and innuendos) associated with partisan politics. I don’t know if by consistently buying The Mail, I was identified as a Tory (which would be absurd) or a Labour supporter. By the time I was done with the Radio stations, LBC 97.3 and Magic 105.4 seemed unmatchable in providing commentary on current events (for the former) and entertainment (for the latter). Despite his critics, I found James O’Brien the most articulate and interesting presenter on LBC. It was also his show that I found most relevant to me because it seemed to touch on a very aspect of life in the UK from the lowest of classes to the highest, from politics to sports, you never know what you will get from those three hours. I disagreed with Nick Ferrari’s opinions as much as I agreed with him. Most of the time he sounded to me, like one of those British men and women still stuck in the past and feeling great about the empire and its superiority – very condescending. He is either like that school kid who is always interested in causing trouble between people, so that he can enjoy the fight from the sidelines or he is actually anti immigration, anti racial interaction and anti globalization. Whichever he is, he always managed to kick up a storm even on the calmest of mornings and there are times I felt like scampering for my phone to give him a piece of my mind. TV in this country is beyond anything, I have seen before. There are very few times I have not found anything to watch from the hundreds of channels provided via Sky Box. While in this country I have been introduced to things like HD ready, Free View and Digital. That not withstanding I was surprised that I could be so close to the action and yet not be part of it. I have been a fan of the English League since the early 80s and I have followed my beloved Liverpool FC from my years as a teenager in Kampala. Unlike back, where I could watch literally every game on TV, there are many times I was not able to watch my favorite team or let alone anything from the premier league because of ‘rights’. Why are people sold rights only to take them away from those who need them? MOTD always filled in well for that deficiency although it is never the same thing as watching live. Thank God for the Beeb ….and oh yes and all of you whiners, stop grumbling and carry on paying your licenses.
Public Transport - 8
By far the most likeable aspect of my life in London. So many times, I have heard people moaning about public transport in London, ‘its awful, its expensive, its crowded’. Coming from where I do, this is next best thing that happened after the treadmill. Yes the trains and buses are sometimes late but only just, I have been to some cities where a schedule is printed without buses and trains. Yes they are crowded but only because every body is trying to get to work or home at the same time, if you all staggered your travel by a few minutes that will be solved. I always used the trains after 9 am and after 7 pm and they were never as crowded as the occasional times I have had to use them during the peak hours.
Race Relations - 8
Much as it is controversial, I have an opinion about the subject of racism. As a tourist in London twice before I lived here, I never understood what it was that black sisters and brothers were honking about whenever they complained about racism. I must admit that in the over 3 years that I have lived in the UK, I still don’t understand it. Neither I nor a member of my family has been a victim of or exposed to racism in any form, way or manner. I may be wrong but I have come to the conclusion that most white folks in UK are not racist. I have experienced much more worse racism in Asia and North Africa.
Social Life - 3
There is nothing to write about. There is no social life and that is what I missed most about home. I am astounded that most people’s understanding of social life on this great island is drinking, more drinking and over drinking of alcohol.
Weather - 1
One of my visiting friends said ‘there is no weather here’ and I could not agree more. In addition to an almost inexistent social life, one had to contend with the horrible weather of the island.
On the whole, I will miss the UK and will certainly be back whenever the opportunity arises.
Comments