March to remember!

March 2010 will go down as a memorable month for so many reasons, most of them unpleasant I am afraid. At the beginning of February, I took a rest from running and any other workouts that would strain the underside of my right foot because according to the doctor ‘that was enough to ease the searing pain under there’. Come March 8th, the recommended 30 days had elapsed and I hoped by now I would be able to run. Although the pain had subsided a little, it was still there and my attempts to conjure up a run came to a grinding halt just after 1.2 km. I could not afford to run any further and walking back home proved to be such a painful affair that by the time I got home, I needed some ice to soothe the pain that was now raging like a fire underneath my foot. I blamed it on the humid weather in Accra (they call it Anti Cold Climate Running Association) and when I returned to Kampala, I decided to see a ‘Specialist’. They (specialists) come up with professional names for all sort of discomforts - even the simplest ones - and I was not disappointed on this occasion. He called it the ‘Heel Spur’ and informed me that by the time I am done with his treatment it will be well and truly gone. Well, I have news for you Doc, it’s the 8th of April, I can still feel the pain and I am not sure I can run yet. My specialist has now advised that I need an In-sole and I am going to get one. However just to be sure that this is not a life threatening problem, I visited the Internet and to my surprise found that most sites recommended things like stretching exercises, rest, applying ice packs to the affected area, losing weight (this is not going to happen!!!) and wearing shoes that have a cushioned heel that absorbs shock or elevating the heel with the use of a heel cradle or heel cup to deal with the problem. I am wondering if it will be a nice idea to go to the specialist and ask for a ‘refund’ or at least half, now that I can deal with the problem myself and it did not require all those painful injections he took me through.

It was also in this last month (March 2010) that we lost one of Buganda’s (and Uganda’s) known heritage sites to a fire. The cause of the fire is not yet known with absolute certainty but most commentators (analysts or experts and all those names that are given to people who claim to know much more than us mortal beings without proof) argue that the fire was most likely deliberately started. Like in many accidents that happen to loved ones (Diana, Princess of Wales comes to my mind here) rumours of a conspiracy are abound, but the President, H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, moved to quash these rumours and warned that any body caught saying that the central government had something to do with the burning of the Kasubi Tombs will be dealt with. For good measure, he added that he ‘is dying to lay hands on the person who says so publicly’. I am used to the President reminding us about his footballing skills, but this is the first indication that he may have been a boxer in his youthful days and I am sure no one would want to cross his path. As for me, this was a wake up call in many ways, I learnt so much more about Buganda and what some non-Baganda think about us who cherish the kingdom and Kabakaship.

On a lighter note, this month, my mother’s birth year was thrown into further chaos when an uncle she has always claimed to be older than informed me that he was born in 1947. That means my mother could only have been born between 1942-1945, if it is true that he saw uncle Kakembo when he was born and as a baby. In the meantime, we still stick to 1946, the year that we were given by Jjajja Nalumansi.
Finally, at the end of the month I had to trek to the land of the Masai to witness another family friend being swept off the ‘singles’ shelf by a charming and equally radiant young man. Congrats to you, June and Rwenye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda