Kampala, a city for the dynamic

There is a tired quote attributed to a famous US president that goes ‘Ask what not your country has done for you but rather what you have done for your country’ (please forgive any errors and/or omissions, I am not very good at cramming). I agree with this quote that at least once in a lifetime, it is the duty of a citizen to make a contribution to his motherland. Apart from my humble contribution to the growth of Uganda’s population (I am directly responsible for the existence of 4 Ugandans, as far as I know, ☺), I don’t think I have done anything that can be compared even in the slightest terms to what teachers, service men, doctors do for this country. As the first step in this direction, I am posting this blog about my city, Kampala. I hope there will be someone who decides to visit Kampala after reading this post. This post is in the interest of Public Service.

Call it a city in the sun; city alive or city that never sleeps, Kampala is likely to fit any of those depictions. Located at 00 degrees North and 32 degrees East, Kampala is a city on the equator – assuring you of nice lovely weather all year round. The imaginary line that divides the earth into the north and southern hemispheres is just 80km to the west of Kampala. Situated at about 1200 metres (4000ft) above sea level, Kampala is fondly known as the city of seven hills, by it’s residents. The term ‘city of (on) seven hills’ was coined decades ago when the sprawling metropolis rested over only seven of its 15 hills today. Kampala, the capital city of Uganda is also the capital and location of most of Buganda’s historical sites. Buganda the kingdom is not to be confused with Uganda, which it is merely a part of.

Most of the world’s intrepid travelers that travel to East Africa never go beyond Kenya, but in Kampala which is merely 670km away from Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, you will get a city full of life, both day and night. Easily accessible by bus (10hr) and by plane (45 mins) from Nairobi, once in Kampala you will find plenty to do and enjoy. From a tour of Buganda’s traditional sites to a simple leisurely walk around the city, there will be memorable places to see and live the true Ugandan experience. One in 5 of Kampala’s residents speak and understand English, so if you speak English, you need not worry. If you are in Kampala and you love shaking your body (clubbing), don’t forget to visit what is arguably the best nightclub on the African continent – Angenoir Discotheque. Other popular nightspots include Bubbles (the Irish Pub), Iguana, Silk Night Club and Cayenne. If you love African traditional dances and music, make a date with Ndere Troupe – they have shows every weekend. Depending on your guide in Kampala, you will see almost all the spices included on the famous spice tour of Zanzibar and here is the winner - without paying as much. A ride on the boda boda (motor cycle taxis) is bound to scare the wits out of you but something not to be missed in Kampala’s maddening traffic if you really want to live a true Kampala experience.

Most visitors to Kampala also go to southwestern Uganda, about 5hrs road trip to enjoy Mountain Gorilla tracking and visit the Queen Elizabeth National Park. The tracking permits are restricted to a certain number per month; unless you have had plenty of time to plan your travel, don’t count on walking in and getting one. In the national park you will see most of Africa’s most sought after wild animals. For those in love of nature walks or bird viewing the forest tracks of Ssese islands found in Lake Victoria and only 3 hrs away by a ferry would be ideal.

Although most African countries have a reach history of traditions, all their museums have one thing in common: lack of what to see. With the exception of the museum in Cairo, I have not yet been to a museum on the continent that I did not feel like demanding a refund. Unless you have plenty of time, Uganda Museum in Kampala should not be high on your priority.

Comments

ALVARO GÓMEZ said…
Hi, Greetings from Santa Marta, Colombia. I think every person has a particular way of seeing the world, that's true if we consider that every culture has its own patterns of behavior. I have an educational blog about literature, film and philosophy. if you want to visit, the address is:
http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es
I very much like to know your comments.
ONLINE MASTER said…
good blog...its hard to find a ugandan wiz such blog..kep it up

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda