Don't Quit my Friend, Keep Running.
As we exchanged texts
today, I felt like you were at that point which is akin to my last 5 km of 42km
marathon run. As you already know,
I am an intrepid runner and have done all kinds of distances. The 42km run is the ultimate challenge
to me. Many times, I want to give
up around the 37th kilometer. I start asking myself why I have to go
through this distressing exercise all in the name of completing a race. At that point in a race I am in a bend,
I lack the capacity to look behind with clarity of mind and most importantly
with tired legs, a heavy chest and breathless heart-pounding, I doubt if I can
get over what's about to come.
Yet, before me is a short run that seems longer than what I have already
covered. I am so miserable at that stage because I can’t see how I will do
it. I am about to give up but I
comfort myself in knowing that people (especially those older than me) survive
it every day.
It's a rare defining
moment of the race where the weak ones give up and the unfaithful ones fall by
the wayside. Gradually I plod on ignoring those by the roadside calling out my
name in encouragement. Unknown to me is the importance of these last steps to
the entire race and most significantly to the pain I have endured to get
here. It’s my mentality at this
stage that matters not my legs, it doesn’t matter how fast I go or how much
pain I feel but knowing and having hope that I will get there is what is
carrying me. I can hardly feel my
feet. The next time I look up it’s
a kilometer to go and suddenly a new energy takes over with free abandon. I am now on course to complete another
race. This last kilometer is full
of happiness and fulfillment and I no longer feel the pain and usually I am
running at a pace higher than what I have done in the last 15km.
To you my friend, I say
buckle up. Be proud of what you have done so far. Don’t let these few painful
kilometers ruin your entire 42km run.
They may seem boring, pointless or even torturous but keep running. Run through them with the right
mentality. Don't forget to
breathe. Don't forget to be happy. Don't ever doubt that you are on the right
track. You are about to get to that last exciting kilometre and you will finish
it with greatness. However hopeless it may seem now, we have all been there before. Bannister in his book, The
Four-Minute Mile said “The particular target we seek may
not be important. But what is
important is the profoundly satisfying effort in thought, feeling and hard work
necessary to achieve this success.”
Comments