Tourism - Is this all We Can do?
Over the last 15
years, I have been fortunate enough to go to countries that I used to consider
luxurious and expensive, those that would be every traveler’s dream and those
that will make most people speculate on the intentions of that person that has
been there. Like one of my friends
asked “what the hell took you to
Turkey?” In some cases I have
ended up in these countries on official business but in many cases it was out
of my love for travelling. The
more I travel, the more I love. I
have now set myself a challenge.
The number of countries I have visited must be equal to my age. That means that in the next few years,
I have to do a lot of travelling to catch up with my age and it is only then
that I will slow down to a manageable rate of one country a year.
My story goes back to
my first long haul travel to Turkey in 1996 (before that the farthest I had
been was Lamu, an island off the Kenyan Coast) where for the first time I came
face to face with the realities of this world. While visiting the slummed areas
of Istanbul I found for the first time, that there are children as old as 12
years who had never seen a black person. You should have seen their faces as they gleaned and
apprehensively touched and rubbed my skin to ensure that the ‘black powder’ I
had covered myself falls off. For
a few minutes, all the attention - I must admit it was mainly that of kids -
was focused on me, leaving other visiting members of the team of architects and
urban planners enough space and time to ask adult residents of this informal
settlement about their life in this place. I had instantly become a celebrity or an attraction
depending on which way you look at it, though I would prefer to be the former. From then on, I knew that no matter who
you are and where you are, there will always be something totally new and
interesting to you especially if you manage to break out of the confines of
your birth and nurturing.
Over the years, I have
travelled to beguiling places and those that were plain pathetic in terms of
what they had to offer to a traveler.
Yet, there are those countries that just know how to market themselves
that even when what they have to offer is palpably crap, a diffident traveler
will want to go there. Growing up
in East Africa, I had heard so much about the island of Zanzibar and it was no
surprise that when I eventually grew and got married, it was the location on
top of my mind as a honeymoon destination. I must say that Zanzibar was horrifically
disappointing. The so-called Spice
Tour which had been so lavishly commended as a highlight and for which we had
to part with US$25 each, was such a let down. It was full of plants and spices that I regularly use
and grow back home in Uganda, yet this had been packaged and promoted as one of
the selling points of the visit to Zanzibar – I wonder how many people from
East Africa end up being as disappointed as I was. On the other hand, I have to give it to Zanzibari
authorities for having done so well at marketing their destination - such is
its reputation that even I could not resist going there.
In 2008, I visited the
island of Sentosa in Singapore. It
was similar to some of the islands that make up Uganda’s Ssese Islands in Lake
Victoria in many ways and yet none of them had been exploited to the same
level. Granted the amount of money
used to develop Sentosa Island is not within our reach as Uganda but surely
there is something that can be done with humbleness that will be acceptable to
most travelers. After all,
this is Africa! No one expects the pomp and glamour that is exhibited at
Sentosa to be in our midst.
Finally, most African
countries have a reach history of traditions, how come we have the most
miserable museums in the world. I
have been to museums in Lagos, Kumasi and Kampala and I am always shocked at
how little there is to see. On the
other hand museums elsewhere are full of documented history, artifacts and
regalia representing those societies through the times. I recently spoke to an official from the Ministry in-charge
of tourism and suggested that we could make a lot of money as a country if we
opened an ‘Idi Amin Museum’……….his response was very disappointing but also
goes to show the level of thinking from our leaders. Apparently, they are people amongst our leaders who think
that Amin is so evil that we cannot glamorize him by opening a museum about his
life – it would amount to sanitizing his actions. I can hear a resident of an island that I was once lived on
scream ‘what a load of bollocks’ and I wouldn’t agree more.
Comments