Teachers Have no Right to Embarrass Parents


While reading today’s Daily Monitor, my attention was drawn to an article with the title ‘Parents, Teachers Clash Over Difficult Homework Questions’.  I decided to read on and find out what the problem was.   A parent in Lwengo, a one Mr. Kato Lubega rightly insinuated that the teachers’ ambition is to embarrass them before their children because they (the parents) fail to help their children with these complex questions.   I have always wondered about this concept of sending kids home with work and then asking the parents to assist them to do it or even review and approve it.  What kind of twaddle is this?  Let’s be serious.  There has been some progress in formal education in Uganda but the level of illiteracy is still high.  Any teacher who sends their pupils home with work (let’s leave out the complex bit for now) and asks their parents to assist or review and approve it, is idle mind with no other objective than mortify the parent.  I grew up and attended my primary school in the late 70s and early 80s.  My mother (God bless her), who strived and worked hard to ensure that I go to school was semi-illiterate.  While she could write her name and count her money, many of the problems I was given for homework would have been beyond her comprehension.   Because of the respect I had for her, her commitment and hard work, there is no way, I would have been a collaborator in an effort that is meant to take her through emotional torture especially when she had repeatedly mentioned that she dropped out of school at an early age purely due to circumstances beyond her control.  Although I was a very meticulous student, every morning I would have returned to school without her signature against my homework until such a bully of teacher gave up their quest to cause discomfort in our household of two.  I want to think that given our levels of literacy in this country to this day 40 years later, there are illiterate/semi-illiterate parents like my mother who give up everything to ensure that their brood go to school.  The last thing they should worry about is receiving instructions from a conceited primary school teacher who demands that they assist children to do homework or review and approve the homework done by their children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda