To Leave Something Behind

While riding with a friend a few days ago, I played my favourite sportify country list! Not long after, Sean Rowe’s ‘To Leave Something Behind’ came blaring through the speakers! 

 

Midway the song, my friend commented ‘This is a sad song’ and ‘I don’t like listening to it’ he subtly protested. 

 

I come from a small home. My mother was the only other occupant in that home and together we formed an impressive team! No one has ever and I believe will ever illustrate ‘trying to leave something behind’ more than my mother.

 

A semi illiterate orphan and barely out of her teenage, my mother found herself in an abusive marriage! In her early 20s she left that marriage.  After a brief period, she tried her luck again at a romantic relationship only to be abandoned by the man she had sired a kid with! She was only 25. 

 

In today’s world, some 25 year olds will be nursing hangovers every weekend if not every morning, yet my mother chose to hold two jobs to ensure that she feeds and fends for me. 

 

I am not overly ambitious and do not chase wealth as a goal. I just want to change the story line! I want to win the battles that my mother never won! I want to leave something behind, in honour of my mother’s efforts. 

 

I am not striving to make a name for myself. I am not interested in being a celebrity or the most known architect that ever lived in Uganda. 

 

Leaving something behind isn’t about me but about us! I want to leave behind children who can nurture others.  I want to leave behind individuals who understand the importance of giving others hope.

 

Leaving something behind is not about a good life for me and my children but about a better place for everybody that comes after me. 

 

In trying to leave something behind, I am attempting to create a world where the value of us is more than possessions and the social rank that comes with them.  

 

Like Sean Rowe, I desire to leave something that will make the world a better place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda