Overcoming Adversity with Hope
It is often said that “what does not kill you makes you stronger”. This dictum is attributed to a German philosopher Friedrich Neitzszhe. It is generally used to encourage resilience. Borrowing from a famous girl’s school motto it is meant to inspire us to ‘never give up’ (that easily).
Some people claim that it is a simplistic statement and that it depends on circumstances. Some bad experiences leave you in a worse state than you were, they argue. I tend to disagree. I am generally of the view that, it is through experiencing pain or serious difficulties that we become better and stronger. When you rise above a struggle, you start looking at most problems differently.
Throughout life, we all face adversity at some point. Whether it's a personal struggle, a professional setback, or a difficult situation, we possibly have all experienced something that has pushed our resolve and limits. But it is how we respond to adversity that defines us and eventually shapes us in one way or the other. Overcoming adversity is not easy. It takes courage, resilience, and determination. It means facing your fears, and pushing forward even when the odds are against you.
My personal experience growing up gave me a big lesson about having hope. My mum instilled in me a strong sense of self-worth, a determination to succeed but most importantly to always have hope. I faced many obstacles along the way. But because my mother had inculcated it in me, I refused to give up. I always believed that things will be better. I had hope. I worked hard, I sought out help and resources, in the hope that things will be better eventually. I learned to embrace difficult situations, face them and deal with them. In the process, I learnt from these situations and came out stronger with wisdom, and a triumph that I never thought possible. Today, I can easily say that I am a true testament to the power of resilience, determination, and hope.
If you have hope, you will be able to overcome adversity. Having hope creates the right frame of mind. Most sportsmen will tell you that if you enter a game with no hope and you think that you are going to lose, you will lose. It ultimately comes down to having a willing frame of mind; one that is willing to accept that for you to get to the better side you will have to go through some form of hardship.
Many people have characteristics such as faith, courage, fortitude, and resilience that are needed to overcome adversity but without hope all these will count for nothing. In order to deal with adversity, you must believe in yourself and fight hard with the hope that after this bad phase, things can only get better.
Hope is influential in driving us to overcome even the most difficult of circumstances. It is the belief, that we can overcome adversity, and that a brighter future is possible. As long you refuse to wallow in the difficult situation that you are facing and focus on the future, you will overcome adversity. “This too shall pass” is something we have all heard many times.
Hope is an essential aspect of human experience. It is the foundation of our dreams and aspirations. Hope drives our efforts to make a better life for ourselves. Without hope, we can easily become lost in despair and overwhelmed by the challenges we face. Whether you are facing personal challenges or despair as a group, hope is a powerful force that can help you overcome adversity. Having hope creates a more positive future. That is why we should never underestimate, the power of hope.
Whenever possible, keep hope alive or create hope for those who look like they have lost the will to carry on. By creating hope, you give them a beacon of light in a state of darkness.
I may not have been very determined to overcome many of the challenging issues that I faced as I grew up, but the hope created my mother always promised me a better life, and this alone made me persevere on. She taught me that every great success story started with a struggle – and that whatever I was going through would pass. She taught me not to give up when things get tough.
So, if you are facing a challenge today or know of someone that needs to overcome adversity, I want to leave you with this message; embrace diversity, stay determined and keep hope alive that you can create a better tomorrow.
Comments