A Toast to My Ladies

Today, we celebrate my daughter's birthday another milestone in my little girl's life!  For me this is a very special one because in exactly 3 weeks from today, I will be joining her at the south coast of England to receive her Bachelor's degree in Interior Architecture.  Rachael is a very special girl. She is very talented, bright and in many ways reminds me of myself.  Always jolly and cheerful that you can mistake her convivial behavior for naughtiness or insubordination.  She was probably the most challenging character in her teen age of all people that have gone through our hands.  She pushes boundaries in all aspects of life and many times you have to contend with her.  Unfortunately, she doesn't want to work that hard in academics probably because she knows she is brighter than the average person.  It is exactly for that reason that I almost dropped off my seat when she announced that she was going to pursue a career in architecture.  I would shudder if not laugh at the mere idea of Rachael sitting in an architecture class because I know her work ethics. You don't have to be so bright or extremely talented to complete a degree in architecture.  But like most people will tell you architecture requires commitment, dedication and diligence. Spending nights in studios or going 24 hrs non-stop is part of the deal when you sign on to that course.  I just couldn't bring my head round the fact that Lalo, as she is fondly known, could complete a course that requires too much tenacity.  For most of my life in this great profession I have read about failure rates in architecture all over the world and I had witnessed in my own class how brutal that course can be.  I therefore did not mince words or sugar coat anything during our conversation.  I told her she did not have the mettle to do architecture and I was probably so blunt in expressing my opinion about her relationship with hard work. If Rachael loves challenging authority she enjoyed taking on this challenge in equal measure.  I have pleasantly been surprised by her devotedness and determination.  She has completed a degree that requires steadfast commitment and if she keeps working this hard in real life, she is destined for bigger things.

The most important person and unsung hero in this part of Lalo's life is her step mum Victoria. It's because of Victoria's love and 'never quit attitude' that Rachael is where she is today.  I am not a very patient man and frankly, I had given up on her at one moment.  The loving person she is, Victoria picked up Rachael and insisted that if she was going to drop out of school, it was only going to be after she has completed her A levels.   Lalo completed her A levels at Ghana International School and it is amazing what those 2 years did for her.  By the time she completed her A levels she did not only have a changed attitude, she was ready to take on the most grueling degree courses.  From GIS to Portsmouth University, Victoria has supported Rachael in all ways like mothers would do, sometimes being softer than I would want her to be.  I think on a couple of occasions, I have mentioned to my lovely wife, that you are about to let this girl get away with murder.  I am sure that Rachael has been nurtured the best way possible and with the most loving pair of hands.  She is going to be a great woman and I couldn't have been prouder of both these lovely ladies.  Thank you Victoria and well done Rachael.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda