BREXIT from my Own Perspective

Since United Kingdom shockingly voted to leave the European Union on Thursday 23rd June, many Ugandans (used this sense to mean Ugandans who were naturally born in Uganda and reside in Uganda) have waded into this debate some without facts.    It is typical for Ugandans to engage in current (and usually international) debates for which they have no facts about because it endears them to those listening that they are very knowledgeable, well informed and travelled.   Our national papers don’t help either because sometimes their Editorials make arguments based on sentiments rather than facts.   When I read in the Editorial of one of the dailies that ‘a vote for REMAIN would be a vote for the common man’ I knew then that the problem is not only the average Ugandan but possibly even those who ought to be informed are not on top of the subject. 

As a Ugandan resident in UK, I would like to say that I understand why those who ticked LEAVE made that choice.  And rather than join the chorus of those condemning them and calling them all sorts of names, I chose to sympathize and vote with them.

I have keenly followed this referendum since the congenial conservative leader and PM of these Isles called for it.   I have listened to what people have to say on radio call-in programmes, in the newspapers, at house parties and in supermarkets.   Some people have blamed him for calling a referendum he was not sure of winning but you see that’s how democracy in this country works.  He won a general election about a year ago on the promise that he will let the citizens of Great Britain decide on their future relationship with EU through a referendum.  Unlike other politicians in other parts of the world who jettison their promises once they get to office, Dave went ahead and gave the people who voted him into office a chance to decide.  He, like many of us probably felt that although there were many unsatisfied voices (and they grew louder during the campaign), they were not enough to win the referendum.  

But I digress, because that is not the reason I put pen to paper.  I will return to the subject.  To say that the common man wanted to REMAIN in the EU is complete dross.  Interacting with common people, as an ordinary Ugandan living in UK with no access to politicians and celebrities, I could tell from day one what the common man wanted.   An average man in UK was tired and could not divorce from the EU sooner.   Abantu bakoowu like we would say in Uganda.  The UK common man is facing a lot of problems in Education, Health, Social Housing etc and they blame all this on the unlimited immigration from EU (read Eastern Europe).  The truth is that no body knows for a fact whether it is EU that has brought about the poor social services but trouble is that even those who say that leaving EU would not guarantee a return to the good old days have not been able to aptly convince the common man what else may have caused the deterioration in services apart from the influx from Europe.  These are the numbers.  Figures show that in 2015 over 300,000 migrants arrived into UK, over 270,000 from EU and the rest from outside EU.   On the other hand, 85,000 UK citizens migrated into EU nations, giving a net migration figure of 185,000 Europeans into UK.  Under EU rules and regulations all EU national are guaranteed the same rights in any EU member country as every citizen of that country.    This issue would not be and I bet was not a problem when you still had the eleven core countries that made EU until 1999.  It was not expected that more than 200,000 French, German, Dutch, Danes, Portuguese, Italians, Spanish, Finns, etc would arrive on the borders of UK in one year and truth is that it did not happen when EU was still made of those nucleus states.  That worked well for those 11 or so countries and Euro-skepticism was not as popular as it is becoming now.  Then some politicians in Brussels came up with this idea of expanding the EU into what is basically a ‘superstate’.  Those in favour of this big community have many arguments but I think the most appealing one is to stop Russia and it’s unstable man Putin.   This opened the door to many Eastern European states that are formerly communist and frankly at a much lower level of development than the states of Western Europe.  What happened next is an influx of people from these new member states (Slovenia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia, Latvia, Poland, Bulgaria etc) to western Europe but most especially UK.  Now, even if we took a more conservative average figure of 100,000 new arrivals every year, have the UK social services been expanded to take care of 1 million people over the last 10 years?   The answer is a big fat NO and that’s where the common man’s argument against the EU and its migration kicks off.  These new EU nationals that have arrived over the last 10 years are competing for the same free Education, free social housing, free health services.   By the way, despite what the UK citizens say, the NHS is still the best free health service I have encountered anywhere I have lived.  Of course, people will argue that I know nothing because I only arrived the other day (just 10 years ago).

I will therefore illustrate this point using housing because I have particular interest in and more familiar with it.  If Woking Council where I live was being faced with a demand of an average of 100 social housing units in the 90s (or just before the Eastern Europeans started arriving), this number must have definitely gone up two fold over the years but has the Council been able to put up 2000 units over the last ten years, the answer is NO.  So what happens in that case? A UK citizen who was previously waiting for 6 months to get free or social housing now has to wait twice as long or even longer, some claim that they end up giving up on those houses after waiting for 5 years.  Remember that the majority of Eastern Europeans arriving are basically economic migrants and they are also not going to go into renting private properties because they cant afford, so it is fair to say that the demand for social housing has naturally increased.  However, this is not the only effect on housing.  Not all Eastern Europeans that arrive are poor.  Some have got money and they have capacity to buy properties. UK is one of the few countries in Europe where owning a residential property is an important status symbol.  I have read that in other parts of Europe, people live through their entire lives without owning a residential property.  This demand for private properties has led to the prices to go up and citizens argue that it is now harder than ever for young people fresh out of universities to get onto the property ladder, because they simply cant afford to pay mortgages using their salaries.  Remember that the salaries are not that handsome any more because there is plenty of labour, again brought about Eastern Europeans.  This same situation is happening in other areas like Education, Health, Social Care, which I will not even bother to go into because I am not that well versed with it.  This alone explains that the person who claimed that a vote for remaining in the EU was for the common man and that those who supported EXIT are the elite few who are bent on grabbing power does not have their facts right.   On the contrary, the elite and political establishment are the ones who wanted to further their agenda to make more money (sell more stuff to a wider market while paying less for labour because it is now aplenty) as the common goods to the poor people continue to deteriorate.  The voting pattern quite clearly demonstrates that.  While all the big cities (Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and London) where the elites, celebrities and political establishment would normally live voted for remain, all of us outside those cities voted for EXIT.

Now to those Ugandans who argue that as Ugandan I am better off with UK in the EU and that I should have voted for REMAIN.  I do not only fail to understand their argument, I fail to see their reason.  Apart from trying to keep up appearances, they cannot possibly justify to me why as a Ugandan it is important for me that the UK stays in EU.   I will become a little selfish here.  Before the arrival of Europeans, Ugandans could easily get those menial jobs that the same Editorial argued are now taken up by Eastern Europeans.  Remittances to this banana republic from people doing those jobs in the diaspora contributed about US$200M to the national coffers the last time I saw those figures.  A substantial bit of that comes from the Ugandans living in UK.  It has never been harder for a Ugandan living in UK to get a job let alone those menial jobs.  My question then is, do I as a Ugandan want to stop a growth of those remittances by supporting other people to take up the jobs that my countrymen would have taken up or not.  

There has been some argument about trade deals probably being better and easier to make with UK than EU as a block.  I wont even go into that subject because I neither understand it very well nor have the facts to make a sustained case but on the face of it, it appears correct.  Some people have argued that under EU we were able to get more developmental aid than we will ever get under UK alone.  I am not one of those who enjoy seeing our economy sustained by support or aid be it from EU or UK, so I don’t care very much who gives us more or less.

My opinion therefore is that any Ugandan who chooses to wade into this debate should do so only because whatever side they choose brings an added advantage to Uganda.  For a Ugandan to sit in Kampala and argue that UK should have voted to remain in the EU because it is what the common man wants is expose sheer ignorance while those who argue that it was good for things like globalisation, climate change, stopping wars and the fight against terrorism, frankly are just showing off. 


Undeniably, there are some disadvantages that will come with UK exiting from the EU but that is mainly for Ugandans who invest in International Stock Markets and those who remit money to Uganda from UK right now.  That disadvantage is for the short term and once all the panic and hysteric reaction to the market calms down, like I know it will.   We will get back to where we should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda