After 20 years of Adult, Independent Life - What have I learnt?

In a few weeks I will turn 46.  Leading up to this birthday I want to write about what I have learnt in the last 20 years.  For most of my birthdays, I take time off to write about life experiences from my perspective.  This is another –probably boring one from me – bear with me.  

In July 1996, I left Makerere University after squeezing the most out of the institution – in terms of free accommodation.   Unknown to some of you my friends, I was a very proud and dedicated member of Makerere Flukers Association (MUFA). Once I joined Makerere Univesity in October of 1991, I did not leave my hall of residence – the great Mitchell Hall - until July 1996.  Most of the holidays I spent on campus were stories of delicate and protracted negotiations with the Hall Warden and/or Custodian.  Sometimes surviving being thrown out of the Hall was down to ingenious ways of endurance like being able to sleep in a different room every night.   Three months prior to my departure from Makerere University campus, which was my home for almost five years (Oct 1991 to July 1996), I had dedicated my efforts to saving for life as a bachelor.   When the time came, I was a little emotional but I also looked forward to having my own place.   After hiring a small pick up truck from near the market in Wandegeya, I proceeded to another part of Wandegeya (ku bbiri) – the pace with incredibly cheap but also low quality furniture - where I had paid for a bed and coffee table a week in advance, loaded up and continued to Balintuma Road in Nakulabye.  This was my first legally rented place of aboard.  It was a simple 2-bed apartment that I shared with my classmate and long time friend, Ali.  Like most naïve graduates and freshers to Kampala’s suburbia, we were robbed of all our possessions after 3 months of living in Nakulabye, more over in broad daylight.   Before that, I had started hunting for jobs as soon as our results were out in May 1996 and for the next two months while I still lived on campus but not with as much gusto as I did after I had moved into my own place.  Indeed, within two weeks, of living outside of Makerere University, I had got a job with Infrastructure Design Forum.  My start date was to be 1st August.  My new boss, Arch Jasper Kyomukama was very sincere with me.  The practice was not very busy but they could still take me on and I would mainly look after their small assignments (homes/residences).  The most difficult clients to deal with I have since learnt are home owner/developers, and yet like my boss I also continue to assign rookies to deal with these people.  So what lessons have I learnt over the 20 years since I left school?

1. PRACTICE MODERATION
This probably took me the longest to come to terms with but my life got increasingly better as I realized on each occasion that being moderate was the best thing.  When I had just left Uni, full of ideas and energy, I thought I was going to change a lot of things.  I went through a school system based on grades and I thought my brain is all I needed to conquer the world.  I was impatient with those who didn’t see things the way I see them and even questioned some of the decisions they took. As a result, I committed some mistakes, and I have learnt from them.  From being a football fan, church going Christian, to pursuing wealth and happiness, I have found true happiness in being moderate.  It takes long and may be hard to get to but once you come to terms with the fact that your view is not the only correct view and that chances are high that it could be totally wrong, you start living in peace with everybody.  Still work in progress, but I am now more moderate than I was 20 years ago – and that is about everything in life.

2. NO BODY REALLY CARES
No one cares about you or what you think – and the earlier you get used to that the better for you.  Scary as it is, it is vey liberating when you actually get to the deeper meaning of ‘No Body Really Cares’.  Don’t get me wrong; I am sure my Mum still worries to death about me.  But I am now pretty sure that many people I have tried to impress in the past either didn’t care or have already forgotten.  Like David Foster Wallace says, “You’ll stop worrying what others think about you when you realize how seldom they do”.  After 20 years of independent, adult life, I really no longer care what other people think of the car I drive, the house I live in or which part of the city I come from.  As long as it makes me happy, makes economic sense to me, I will do it.

3. BE A LITTLE SELFISH AND THINK ABOUT YOURSELF
There can be a fine line between being a complete useless insensitive twat and a person who occasionally looks after himself.  Selfishness is different from self interest which should be avoided.  After my 40th birthday, I realized that I was so concerned about the happiness of other people than myself.  I would tag along for meetings, gatherings or functions that I am not really into just to make other people happy.  I am now a little selfish, I can choose to go for a run over a wedding reception and I think it is perfectly in order.  Life can be short, so I have hard to learn to spare sometime for the things I love.  It may be hard to do them later.

4. THERE IS NO FORMULA
As I started out my life in the mid 90s, a lot of people gave me advice about life and marriage, most of it well intentioned but the truth is that there is no formula.  For instance no body ever prepared me for a split family life, which I have lived the last 15 years.  In the last 20 years, I have had to deal with life the way I see best.  What is important is that I set myself some goals and I have tried to work towards them.  I gave up emulating others and charted my own course ensuring that whatever I do makes my family and I happy.  Almost all people I spoke to 15 years ago, told me I was making a mistake to let my wife work in a different country – yet that is one of if not the most important decision we ever made as a family.  I have learnt that the only reason people say ‘life starts at 40’ is because in your 20s you think you know what’s going on, in your 30s you realize you probably don’t, and in your 40s you relax and just accept things.  It is true.

5. USE YOUR TIME WELL
It has turned out that my greatest asset was not my ideas, education or brains but time. Time grants you the opportunity to do things, make mistakes and learn from them.   I now realize, I should have taken more risks when I was younger, I should have travelled more and should have spent more time doing the things I like as an individual.  When you are as old as I am, you are weighed down with financial responsibilities that come with adulthood: mortgage repayments, car loans, school fees, retirement plans and so on.  Additionally, you now have to make decisions in consultation and your partner will not like everything you like.

6. FRIENDS VS RELATIVES
I’ve spent the majority of the last 15 years shuttling between home country and where it is that my wife may be working.  This journey has taken me over 3 countries.  Spending half the year in Uganda and the other half in a foreign country means that there are loads of friends I don’t get to see.  Unfortunately, that means that for some of those friends we have drifted apart bit-by-bit until we are no more. I have also learnt over this time that there are those friends who will stick by you whether you are available or not.  It’s not that those other friends are bad people. That’s how life is.  The only people that haven’t changed are my relatives, no matter how long I spend without seeing them.  They are the same people I see at funerals, weddings and other family gatherings.  Probably they are the only ones that are guaranteed to be there when I am finally being laid to rest. I recently attended a funeral on my maternal side and there were people I hadn’t seen in over a decade.  Once we saw each other it was all hugs and smiles, no gloomy faces, no awkward situations.

7. MOST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ARE GOOD PEOPLE
Like I have said over the last 15 years, we have lived in 3 countries and travelled to over 30.   Growing up in a typically Baganda home – yes Baganda do hold a lot of prejudices – I used to be pretty judgemental.  In the last 20 years I have rubbed shoulders with all kinds of people some of them insanely rich and famous and others poor and downtrodden.  I have discovered that most people in the world mean well.  I have learnt not to pass judgement on people before getting close and personal.  Looks can be deceptive but those taken from afar can be out right lies.  Everyone wants the best for themselves and their families, everyone wants to look cool and feel important — that does not make them bad.  Everyone is proud of where they come from – it is not tribalism or racism.  Everyone loves their friends and family – that’s why we get upset when we think they have not measured up to the standard we expect them to. It is just the details that get shuffled around. Most of the differences that we hold to be so significant; religion, race, tribe, nationality - are accidental byproducts of geography and history.  I’ve learnt not to judge people by who they are or where they come from but by what they do.  Some of the kindest and most gracious people I’ve dealt with are those who did not have to be kind or gracious to me.  Some of the people that have been horrible to me are those that I have previously helped or paid to offer me a service.  You don’t know who you are dealing with until you spend enough time with a person to see what they do.

8. THE POWER OF SMALL THINGS
I grew up in a life of deprivation and general lack of basics. I remember my classmate who gave me a Nile English Course textbook and spared me from being sent away from class.  I still remember my only uncle who visited me at Makerere College School to deliver a ‘Success Card’ – the only time any body from my family visited me at school or gave me a success card before the national exams.  Those two small actions are part of the work that led to my relatively recognizable success later in life.  I may not have realized it then.  Many of us have a tendency to assume things just happen or ought to have happened anyway.  We tend to only see the result of things and completely choose not to pay attention to the process that went into producing the result. Now that I am on the side that gives – I see this more often.  When I was younger, it was not clear to me as it is now that the big things I looked forward to are actually a result of the small things that were silently and unceremoniously put together over a long period by different people.  Now I do.

9. ACCEPTANCE & ACKNOWLDGEMENT
May be one of the things I have learnt more recently is acknowledgment, acceptance, and (perhaps) forgiveness of people’s flaws.  I used to be (and in some cases still are) impatient with dumbness, slowness and lack of urgency.  I must have been a very horrible boss in my 30s.  Of late, I have come to the conclusion that not all people are the same.  What appears as clear cut and obvious may not be to another person, I am now willing to take more time to explain to people what I want to be done but it still drives me nuts when they don’t.   I just have to keep reminding myself that they’re doing their best, even though it may not be the best to me.

10. BE HAPPY
My mother turned 70 this year.  She is still strong and energetic.  She can still get on to the dance floor for hours and walks upright.  I don’t know her as an athletic person and she was never very keen on tilling land. She says and I agree with her that her good health now is a result of being positive and happy all her life.  During our years of a very simple life, she encouraged me to hang with children from the rich families.  ‘Stay away from miserable people’ she would say, ‘they will consume you and drain every single bit of happiness you have’.  I have realized how important it is to keep happy in my adult life.   I don’t sweat the small stuff anymore; when confronted with a perceived problem, I ask myself what is the worst it can be? Is there an alternative?  Is it even going to matter later in life that I wore a black shoe instead of a brown one?  Gone are the days, when I would worry myself about not being at a function, meeting or place.  If I miss something really nice, I make the most of the place where I find myself and enjoy as much instead of lamenting.  I used to worry myself of not being available as the team leader, now I know that things can go on without me.  It is even likely that people will come up with better solutions in my absence.  There is a simple life lesson of accepting life as is and carry on – I apply that a lot now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is calling 'Mzungu' being Racist

FORTY THINGS ABOUT ME

Getting Married in Buganda